Saturday, April 4, 2009

NEIL SEDAKA DESERVES TO BE IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

I can't believe that Neil Sedaka is not a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. What the hell?!

I doan buhlee-dis!

Thinking back (yeah, waaaaay back)... some of the first tunes I remember hearing on my brand new transistor radio were by Neil Sedaka. Oh, Carol and Calendar Girl spring immediately to mind. And how about THIS ONE? I mean, the guy's a legend. He's seventy years old and he's still touring, for pete's sake. Come on. Induct the guy already!

There is an online petition, the aim of which is to convince the nominating committee to sit up and take notice. You can sign it here.

I watched Sedaka perform at The Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago (a PBS broadcast, if memory serves). It was a wonderful show.

I realize I'm an old fart. (Don't think there's much I can do about it.) But ignoring Neil Sedaka's contributions to the frigging huge range of music that falls under the category of 'Rock and Roll' just isn't right.

So there.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I say if they added Run DMC, they should definitely add Neil Sedaka! For crying out loud, he IS a legend!

Hi, Doc!! :)

Doctorboogaloo said...

Allie! Great to hear from you. (I see you've been busy, young lady.)

Congrats on getting the editing business up and running. I hope it's a wild success. You deserve it. And another story sold! Yowza.

Best wishes, kiddo.

Woozie said...

Basically what Allie said.

Good afternoon, Doctor.

Omar said...

Yeah but, if you let Sedaka in who the hell is next? Andy Williams? This cannot be!

Omar said...

Hey melon-lid, shouldn't you be answering the mail over at the Tome of Negligence?

Doctorboogaloo said...

Hey, Woozie. Yeah, makes sense, eh?

I think Omar's looking for you.

Doctorboogaloo said...

Omar: Hell, if Herb Alpert can nab a Lifetime Achievement award at the Hall of Fame, why not Neil Sedaka?

Andy Williams? Yikes.