Thursday, June 11, 2009

AT MY AGE, SPEED IS IMPORTANT

I've had a nice streak in the last couple of years. Actually made a good chunk of change from writing. And the best part is the amazing velocity from acceptance through to publication and payment. In the old days, we'd have to fuck around with postal deliveries, typesetting symbols on edited copies, more back and forth postal deliveries, phone calls, another round of typesetting symbols, photocopies... you get the idea. Fuck, these days, you just edit a PDF or Word attachment copy and hit send. (I bless Al Gore for inventing the Internets.)

Leaves a guy much more time to drink and listen to tunes. And that's what writing is all about. (Or, as I tell the wife, more time for 'research'. Yeah. Right.)

Now, if there was just a way to make lasagna without spending a weekend in the kitchen....

2 comments:

Jon said...

.................LINK

... wish i had your kind of time

Doctorboogaloo said...

Jon: I wish I had more time to write. I do most of it on the weekends.

During the school year, I can scrape together, at best, an hour and a half or so a day. (And those are the good days.) That's why I'm grateful the editing process isn't as tortuous as in years gone by.

Oops... this is my writing time. Gotta go.