Sunday, March 15, 2009

JOURNAL/MARCH 15, 2009

I'm a slow writer. I just put the finishing touches on a story I began nearly eighteen months ago.

I like to let 'em sit on the back burner and simmer.

I'm a lazy writer. More often than not, I'd rather dink around with punctuation than cut to the chase.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

And still I wonder why the cheques have stopped arriving.

Then there's the novel.

Like a slow, almost imperceptible suicide. Done in ink. In the near dark. And the narrator's voice, angry, saying get the fuck on with it.

I can spend an afternoon sharpening pencils.

2 comments:

Sam said...

At least you're writing. I can spend an afternoon cleaning the toilet. Must be a girl thing.

Doctorboogaloo said...

Sam: A wise old friend once told me that I was afraid of success. Now, in my dotage, I finally believe him.

I don't think I ever really wanted to be a full-time writer. And if I had it to do all over again, I'd still spend most of my time teaching kids how to read and write.

Make sure you write something every day. EVERY SINGLE DAY, Sam. Without fail. You hear me?