Thursday, March 5, 2009

Political correctness. We all know what that is. But how about grammatical correctness? It's all around us. It's in this sentence. As a matter of fact, it appears no less than six times in the paragraph you're reading right now. And I had no say in the matter.

What am I talking about? I'm talking about the fact that the traditional double space after periods (and question marks, too, I suppose) is no longer acceptable. In fact, it is so unacceptable that the word processing apparatus right here on Blogger automatically renders a double space (after a period) into a single space. From this point forward (i.e. from saved Draft to Preview to Publication) my double spaces are automatically changed to singletons. I mean, What The Fuck? When did all this shit go down? It's everywhere. Double spacing is kaput. And it has likely been kaput for decades. Except I never knew about it. Until tonight. Until I realized that Blogger was doing what publishers have been doing for years -- fucking with tradition.

Jeebus, I must be old, man. Double space.

Doh!

No comments: